Monday, July 7, 2014

Algeria Coach - Halilhodzic Quits His Post

The Algeria coach, Mr Vahid Halilhodzic (62), who led the national team (The Desert Foxes), to the knockout phase of the on going World Cup in Brazil, has left the team at the end of his three year contract, with the Algerian football federation, which just expired.

Halilhodzic left without renewal of his contract, inspite of the plea from the country's President Mr Abdel Aziz Bouteflika, citing the attraction of new sporting challenge and family obligations.

Vahid Halilhodzic

''Today, after living three years in Algeria, my family obligations and lure of new sporting challenges, weighed heavily in my choice,'' Halilhodzic said.

"I leave proud of my record after my tenure, complied fully with the targets set by the federation.''

On a negative part of his experience in the country, he said that some section of the media were insensitive, attacked not only his work and person but also his family and that he will never forget or forgive them.

''In a single false note, I want to address the insensitive behaviour of certain media - not all thankfully - who have not stopped stigmatising not only my work, but attacked my own person and my family, that I will never forget and never forgive,'' he added.

Algeria qualified to the knockout phase of the World Cup losing 2 - 1 to Belgium in their opening match, beat South Korea 4 - 2 and drew 1 - 1 with Russia.

In the knockout stage, they fought gallantly against mighty Germans and played 0 - 0 for the full 90 minutes, but was unfortunate to eventually loss  2 - 1 in the extra 30 minutes.

Mr Halilhodzic has coached many teams, both clubs and national teams among which were - Nantes and Paris Saint Germaine (PSG) where he also played as a gifted striker. Read also: melvinsports.blogspot.com

There is media report, that he is going to take up the appointment of coaching the Turkey football club, FC Trabzonspor. Anyway, whatever he decides to do in future, I wish him well in his endeavours. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment